Re: How prevalent is DocBook?

Subject: Re: How prevalent is DocBook?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:38:04 -0800

Megan Golding wrote:

> Why would you want a *smaller* DTD? Sure, there are a lot of tags in
> there -- tags I'll never use. Why trim down to a custom DTD rather than
> just *not* use the tags you don't need?
>
> I guess I'm curious as to the advantage. I can see modifying DocBook by
> adding tags that you need but aren't in DocBook, but trimming the DTD
> just to make it smaller seems like a lot of time with no benefit. Can
> anyone enlighten me?

If you use a dedicated SGML (or, I presume, XML) editor, all
tags show up in various dialog boxes or lists of choices so
you only want the relevant tags to show up. Otherwise,
the lists are way too long and the correct tags are
hard to find. Also, if you have scattered groups of writers
who may not be in touch with the decisions of the
implementation team (or may not pay close attention :-> ),
you want to make sure they're only using the "approved"
tags and removing them from the DTD is the best way to
ensure compliance.

-- Janice