SUMMARY (part 1): Project plan risk assessment / risk analysis / risk management

Subject: SUMMARY (part 1): Project plan risk assessment / risk analysis / risk management
From: "Jeff Allen" <jeffrey -dot- allen -at- mycom-int -dot- fr>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:35:22 +0200

This is part 1 of a two-part summary posting.

Thanks to the following people for sending information concerning risk
assessment/risk analysis/risk management with regard to software
documentation plans:
Jennifer Carey, Dick Margulis, Steve Hudson, Indira Upadhayaya, Linda
Sanning

Nearly all of the categories indicated in this summary posting contain
replies from several people. Due to lack of time, I have not standardized
the ordering, so some replies appear as bullet lists, others as numbered
lists, others by hyphens, and some are a mixture of the different types,
etc.

Also, I have not tried to evaluate any of the replies. Rather, I have simply
copied in information from each respondent that fits within the relevant
categories.

>From this complete list, I was able to create a document plan risk analysis
that is specific to my project. You can do the same.

There are a few other risks to include, but which might be included at a
level higher project plan than just the documentation team, since they are
relevant also to other teams: hardware failure, sick personnel. Both of
these two additional risks hit our team over the past few weeks, and have
affected deadlines. It is important to know your backup plan for such
events.

Many thanks for the replies. I hope that other tech writers may also benefit
from this summary posting. Maybe this posting can stir a discussion on
evaluating the relevancy and adequacy of the suggested risks, dependencies,
solutions, etc.

Best,

Jeff Allen

------------

WHICH TYPE OF RISK ANALYSIS is being addressed?

See message from Dick Margulis about types of risk analysis at:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0203/techwhirl-0203-00347.html

ASSUMPTIONS:

examples from more than one respondent:

* Any significant changes to the (name) application will be communicated to
the writer as soon as possible, and may affect the final delivery date.
* Any changes to the documentation plan will affect the final delivery date
and should be discussed.
* Documentation will be written strictly to accomplish the objectives listed
in this document (i.e. not for sales functions, etc.)

- We use XXX for authoring paper deliverables and XXX for authoring WebHelp.
- All paper deliverables are also delivered as PDFs, to be included on the
product CD.
- All PDFs are installed as part of the product and accessible from the help
menu.

* Development will integrate the .pdf file as help.
* Development will draft the report descriptions.

All help files will be installed at the customer site regardless of whether
they purchased only Product X or the whole XYZ product. One set of help
menus serves all customers.

GUI freeze will occur early enough to allow for capturing of screen shots..

Writers will continue to receive support for our tools including Frame2000
and the tools we need to capture screen shots and convert them to EPS format
for translation.

We will use A BC file management product on an ongoing basis to manage our
help files.

L10N and the product build team will get our files directly from the ABC
file management system and won't require file transmission from us.

If file management questions arise related to translation, L10N will run the
differences reports and trouble shoot the issues.

We will use ABC file management product to archive our Frame2000 source
files to archive paper pubs at certain milestones, but not on an ongoing
basis.

The x team will provide database sizing information for use in documenting
the hardware and software requirements.

Writers will have access to a Palm Pilot device to enable them to write and
test Hand held interface documentation. ( or access to any equipment needed
to exercise the software features first-hand).

--- end part 1 of summary posting------