RE: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!

Subject: RE: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!
From: "Nora Merhar" <nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:17:46 -0600

Actually, I would appreciate a selection of technical topics, especially
geared toward overviews for TWs (I'd love to attend a seminar that gave the
basics of something like Network security, or Java, or even electronics!).
It would make me MUCH more likely to go to an STC meeting. I don't need
single-sourcing, XML, or how to storyboard complicated projects. I don't
need seminars about how to gain respect from the SMEs (I get respect just
for coming to see whatever it is I'm documenting, and actually playing with
it a little). Andrew won't like this, but another useful seminar would be
"How to get (whatever tool) to do what you want it to do."

I think part of the problem is that a lot of presenters don't seem to be
working in "real world" conditions. Obviously some are, and at the last
conference I tried to attend seminars given by those people. But a lot of it
is academic, which is fine for academics, but not so great for those of us
with jobs outside academia.

Nora