RE: Who's the User? (You're the user!)

Subject: RE: Who's the User? (You're the user!)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:32:41 -0500

Shauna,

I don't know if this is entirely applicable to your situation, but we did
encounter something similar for our middleware product a couple of years
ago. Since in our "real world" system administrators are client power users
who've just been around longer than other folks (or low-level managers), and
know a few more tricks with our products, we were able to help our
developers understand pretty quickly that what might be obvious to those of
us working on the product, isn't necessarily obvious to those that have to
install it and maintain it in actual production somewhere. Using the tactic
of stroking their egos seemed to help. ("It's pretty cool what you did here,
but I'm not sure so-and-so at this client would understand it without
tutoring" or some such).

Maybe you could tell them since they're so irreplaceable, you want to
enshrine their knowledge as a tribute? ;)

Hope it helps!

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso