RE: Multi lingual Online Help

Subject: RE: Multi lingual Online Help
From: Bill Burns <bill_burns -at- lionbridge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:32:26 -0500

Mr. Knopf writes:

> Full support for Asian languages is available with FrameMaker and
> WebWorks Publisher. The WebWorks Help output format that you can produce
> with WebWorks Publisher is functionally equivalent to WebHelp. We have
> used both RoboHelp and WebWorks for localization projects and have
> generally substantially lower localization costs with WebWorks
> Publisher.

I second this motion, and yes, I'm biased. However, the problems with
RoboHelp is that you have to buy the Asian version of it to localize your
files. This isn't the case with FrameMaker and WWP. Also, if you want
eastern European, you're out of luck. RH doesn't support those char sets.

WHen I write online WinHelp help, I typically do it with Word and the
compiler only. RH would be okay, but I'd separate the WinHelp project files
from the RH project before sending files to localization. For HTML-based
help, RH is fine, but I'd avoid using WebHelp if I were going to anything
outside of western European or Asian character sets. Localizing the index
and TOC files for those locales would be a major headache.

Bill Burns
Technical Communications Manager
Lionbridge Technologies, Inc.
12585 W. Explorer Dr., Suite 150
Boise, ID 83713
Phone: 208.321.4406
FAX: 208.321.4490
E-mail: bill_burns -at- lionbridge -dot- com