RE: TW salaries in B.C.

Subject: RE: TW salaries in B.C.
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:31:57 -0800

Jonathan,

Darren supplied a fine response. I'll just add
a few more points:

If you're going to work in B.C., I would strongly
recommend that you work in Vancouver and the Lower
Mainland region. Most technology companies are
located in or near Vancouver and therefore you'll
find more and better job opportunities in this
area. You'll also find the highest technical
writing salaries in B.C. in the Vancouver area.

I grew up in Victoria, went to university there,
and worked there for two years after I graduated.
The technical writing jobs are few and far between
in Victoria and on the Island. I've applied for
jobs there a couple of times in the past five
years and I've consistently been offered $10,000 to
$15,000/year less than what I earn in Vancouver.
What a difference a ferry ride makes!

I know a number of technical writers who've gone
down south. The cost of living in Vancouver is
probably the same as our nearest U.S. neighbours,
or higher. And the salaries are uncomparably better
just over the border. On a pure dollar-for-dollar
basis, you're better off in the U.S.

If you come to B.C. seeking riches, you'll be
disappointed. If you come to B.C. seeking good
weather, mellow people, and excellent opportunities
to ski, hike, kayak, bicycle, run, and play outside,
you'll love it.

Cheers,

Rowena