RE: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!

Subject: RE: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!
From: "McCarter, Kim" <kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:38:49 -0500

Okay, I have to add my two cents. I DID attend the STC conference in Chicago
last year, and I attended session after session that I thought would give me
some insight into some new technical projects I was starting (they sounded good
on paper). Overall, I was disappointed with the superficiality of the sessions.
What I wanted was nitty-gritty nuts and bolts to head me in the right direction.
Yes, it would have been way out of my 'comfort zone,' but it would have at least
given me a clue as to what I was getting into. What I got were glittering
generalities and overviews - things that I already knew.

The bottom line is that while I am a writer (and grammarian) by trade, many of
the tasks I (and many others on this list) are asked to do require technical
knowledge. How are you supposed to create help systems or HTML, both tasks that
technical writers are asked to do on a regular basis, without technical
knowledge? It can't be done.

_________________________________
Kim McCarter
Information Design & Development
Harris Corporation, Network Support Division
(321) 724-3497
kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com

*****Confidentiality Notice*****
This message is confidential . If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not copy or otherwise disclose the contents of this message to any other person.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender
immediately by return e-mail. Thank you.