RE: White Papers

Subject: RE: White Papers
From: "Paula R Stern" <paula -at- writepoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:13:18 +0200

Hi Ed,

I'd say the reason for the confusion lies in the nature of the document
itself. While we all pretty much know what a technical manual is, what goes
in an installation manual, etc., a white paper is harder to define. Many
use the white paper as a glorified marketing document. Others use it as a
means of offering a study of an industry, a technical overview of a
product, etc.

For a while (and perhaps still), labeling something as a white paper was
the "in" thing. When I first started writing white papers a few years ago,
I did a study of what I could find and made up a list of headings that I
felt was appropriate. Since that time, I have had a number of companies
come up with additional requests that have customized the white papers
according to the needs of the company.

Why so many? Because, just as you said, the white paper is easily defined
and then redefined and is therefore seen as the "first" document many
startup companies use to explain why they developed a product, what place
it has in the market, etc.

Paula

Paula R. Stern
Documentation Manager