RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )

Subject: RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:23:22 -0400

Arlen, Mr. Walker, sir,

Which hotels are YOU using???

In my experience, we paid a lot for hotels ... not so much for the
exhibition space, but for the breakout and meeting rooms, the ballrooms for
general sessions, the food and drink in between sessions, meals, etc.

In a conference situation, the organizers reserve the hotel meeting space,
exhibition space, and blocks of rooms for attendees -- often 6-12 months in
advance of the event itself. There are often upfront payments of cash money
to hold these reservations which is not refundable.

When you subsequently advertise the conference, you may or may not get the
number of attendees you expected. If you get more, you have to scurry and
find additional rooms. If you get fewer, you may have to relinquish blocks
of rooms which usually increases your other costs.

It's a risky proposition. Add to that the not insignificant expenses for
advertising, etc. and it really starts to add up.

With no guarantee that you'll make a profit, let alone make back all the
money you fronted.

And for someone else who said "Why not get sponsors to help foot the bill"
well, tech writers aren't doctors. There are no companies banging our doors
down to demand we display their wares to those tech writers to consider
spending their flush budgets on for new tools. Think for a minute - you go
to your doctor, and are often offered free samples of medications. When is
the last time someone offered you a free sample of anything related to your
occupation? Other than AuthorIt, eHelp, and maybe Adobe, there are precious
few companies who cater to our needs, and to whom we represent their core
target market. Believe me, no one out there is lining up to give me anything
free to advertise to documentation professionals.

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe