Re: standard time estimates for documentation projects

Subject: Re: standard time estimates for documentation projects
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:03:56 -0400

At 9:09 AM -0400 4/9/02, Lorraine Chapman wrote:

I am looking for the "best practices" or "standards" that are used when
estimating a writer's time for a documentation project. I seem to recall
that most managers used the
x# of pages/day/writer rule. Does this still hold true?

Hi,
I've been experimenting with a different method.
It's radical.
It works.

1. Estimate _exactly_ how long it will take you to do the job.
Ignore all other factors.
2. Double the number and use the next time multiplier.

Here's an example:
1. The estimate: "I think I can do this in 3 days."
2. Double the number. Three becomes six.
Use the next time multiplier. Days become weeks.

Thus, the job will be finished in six weeks.
This includes all manner of things such as gathering reference material, meetings, phone calls, hangovers, writer's block, and 'stuff'.