Re: Tech. reviewers who copy edit

Subject: Re: Tech. reviewers who copy edit
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:35:37 -0600

Grit your teeth. When people start "reviewing" a document rather than
reading it, a ton of incomplete memory fragments from their 7th-grade
English classes begin surfacing in their brains, foggy and indistinct like
the answers that float to the surface in Magic Eight-Balls.

Thus armed, they begin trying to grammatically dissect your work, despite
your bold-print instructions that you are only seeking TECHNICAL
clarification. It's frustrating and - in my experience - unavoidable.

Some of them will even hound you after the doc is published, asking why
you didn't adopt all their changes. Big fun.

One thing I've done is to add a caveat to the instruction notes I give
them, saying that edits not related to technical content will be
disregarded. But you should sugarcoat that message, so as not to offend
the SME. And don't expect it to be heeded. Good luck!

Keith Cronin

I believe it was Paul McCartney who wrote:
"You think that people would have had enough of silly sig lines, but I
look around me and I see it isn't so."
Or something like that.