Re: FrameMaker to HTML

Subject: Re: FrameMaker to HTML
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:54:49 +0200

>Save As HTML works pretty well, and I've tweaked most of the styles to
>eliminate manual tweaking of the HTML files. I also gotten FrameMaker to
>place each Heading 1 topic in its own HTML file per my boss's request. Links
>work well. Now the trouble is that I need to know ahead of time what the
>name of each HTML file will be, so the programmers can link to it.
>Currently, I have no control over the names FrameMaker gives the files when
>it splits the topics into separate HTML.

Melinda,

WebWorks Publisher Professional does what you want. We have just produced
a largish manual with it and are impressed with its overall capabilities.
(Less so with the bugs it seems to have, but for us they are tolerable.)

In WWP Professional, you could add markers to the FrameMaker files that
specify the file name of the HTML file after conversion.

>Are there any good books on HTML help systems?

There is a good book on WWP Professional from Scriptorium: WebWorks
Publisher Cookbook (ISBN 0-9704733-1-1); I'm not aware of books on the
general topic of HTML help systems.

If you consider using WWP, be aware that the learning curve is not trivial.

Hope this helps
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345