Re: Solution: locking Powerpoint files

Subject: Re: Solution: locking Powerpoint files
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:06:30 -0400

Jeff,

I'm curious about your dismissal of PDF. What version of Acrobat are you using?

It may be true that the original PDF that is output from Distiller will be that large, but in my experience the PDF is generally about the same size as the PPT after being resaved from Acrobat ("optimized").

One of the things Acrobat does on resaving is eliminating duplicate objects.

Another issue has to do with the nature of the images you put into the PowerPoint. If you scale pictures to the correct size in a graphics program (rather than scaling in PowerPoint) and use Edit > Paste Special > As Picture, you generally get a smaller PPT file (and smaller PDF) than if you Insert > Picture > From File.

Finally, you can print PPT to File "with animations" and distill a PDF that provides a reasonable facsimile of the PPS experience. Set the File Open preference to "Open in Full Screen Mode."