Re: Playing nicely with Bobby

Subject: Re: Playing nicely with Bobby
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:22:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:
> Can anybody give some examples of well-known sites that are
> Bobby-compliant?
>
> I put some sites I designed through Bobby's gauntlet, and got chewed up
> pretty badly, which is making me reevaluate some of my design principles.
> But out of curiosity I fed some other "mainstream" sites to Bobby; they
> fared even worse.
>
> I'd just like to get a feel for the kind of sites that can pass this
> rigorous test. I think it's a great standard to aim for.

In all honesty, Keith, except for my sites, which are behind a firewall on an
Intranet and not well-known otherwise <g>, I know of few sites that are WAI
compliant. Even W3C's site only claims Double-A compliance. (There are three
levels.)

I think WAI is the way to go for a lot of reasons that I won't go into again.
You can read them on the WAI site. Sites that are Bobby compliant are WAI-A
compliant, the lowest of the three levels.

I suppose we could speculate as to why. I would tend to think that most
developers aren't aware and don't think they have the time to meet a standard,
any standard, for accessibility. But that's the sheerest of speculations. I
don't know what the real problem is.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 03/14/02
"Technical Writers: Writers who get paid a living wage."

http://taxes.yahoo.com/