RE: STC blackmail?

Subject: RE: STC blackmail?
From: "Richard Smith" <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:00:17 -0700

I gotta agree. I was at the embedded systems conference a few weeks ago, and
I sat and listened to a hardware guy's pitch about some machine that gets
your ball grid array chips just at the right temperature to solder without
heating up the components on the other side of the board. I didn't know
squat about what he was saying at first, but his enthusiasm was infectious.
Before long there was a crowd standing around listening to what he was
saying. I learned all kinds of interesting things from listening to that
dude.

Another exhibitor, Tensilica, put on a goofy Star Trek spoof show about
their "configurable silicon." the spoof had moments of profound cheeziness,
but they followed it up with a good discussion about ASICs and their stuff.

This sort of stuff is normally way outside the corner of the software world
I live in, but it was interesting. There were a lot of exhibitors pitching
similar things, but Tensilica and the BGA-solder dude (no clue what the
company name is) really made this stuff interesting.

--
Richard