RE: STC blackmail?

Subject: RE: STC blackmail?
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:21:35 -0400

I've been a member of the STC for several years and have never attended their annual conference, because their doesn't seem enough of value to me to justify the time and expense.... even if my employers were to pay, I would have a hard time justifying it.

Ideally, in an STC conference I would see a number of different tracks, one or two of which would be on technical topics.

Several people have commented that they were for non-software companies and don't think too many people would care for tracks on their technology. Not so--- I have worked for software companies, but the software is for particular industries (e.g., manufacturing, healthcare). I would be interested in sessions on those industries - and of any other industry which I might think could be interesting to work in, to help learn about one or more issues that concern that industry and what people in that industry write about.

If there were two technical tracks, I would suggest to make one on various computer technologies (because there are so many who are or want to be writing in the software industry) and another on various other industries. If there only one technical track, of course, have both computer-industry and other-industry topics.

Ideally, tracks run in parallel. So if the particular technology doesn't interest you, you can always attend a non-technology track (e.g., tech-writing tools, management, etc.).

And some technical topics could be of interest as both a topic to write about and as something of practical use. For example, XML is a popular topic because there are people writing about XML applications as well as people using XML in documentation (not necessarily the same people). Accounting topics could be of interest both to people who would write on such topics, as well as to contractors and possibly managers.

- Michele Marques
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques