Importance of XML in single sourcing?

Subject: Importance of XML in single sourcing?
From: ebarker -at- omiintl -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 9:1:1

We are a 4-person tech writing department at a software company and are
looking at content management tools. We've narrowed it down to Arbortext
and AuthorIt.

How important is it to create XML content? AuthorIt does not store XML and
it's not an XML editor, though it can import XML documents.

Arbortext states that it was designed for creating XML content.

After reading through the techwr-l archives, it seems to me that XML has
yet to really storm tech writing like everyone predicted 2-3 years ago. So
how crucial is it for the next 5 years? In other words, should I choose a
tool that boasts XML editing power because it's the way of the future or
does it really matter all that much?

Thanks for your opinions,

Evelyn Barker