RE: Tech Writers on GUI Design Teams

Subject: RE: Tech Writers on GUI Design Teams
From: "Jennifer Westerberg" <jen -at- kurant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:31:52 -0700

I'm fortunate enough to be very involved in GUI design at my company.

We don't have a formal GUI design team, per say. Instead, GUI design is
integrated as a part of the overall software design process - every design
document includes a logical design and a physical design that covers the
GUI.

We also have GUI design standards that covers most design needs. And every
design doc that includes a GUI change or new interface is reviewed by myself
and the graphic designer (who we're lucky to have on staff). We make sure
that the proposed interface adheres to the standards, and if a new layout or
graphic elements are needed, we're there to provide input on that as well.
In fact, the developers usually come to us first for input, and then we use
the design review to work out final details.

One thing to consider - design by committee is a real pain. We rely on our
GUI Standards a lot, and then generally defer to me (yay!) on layout and the
designer on graphic design. If you're gonna have a team approach, I would
suggest making sure there's someone who can a) help negotiate among all the
different "I think this"'s in the room, and b) someone who has final yea/nay
authority

Jennifer Westerberg
Kurant Corporation