charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?

Subject: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:51:43 -0700 (PDT)

With any luck at all I'll be starting a telecommuting gig in a
couple of weeks. The company itself is in Chicago, and I'm 250
miles away in Ann Arbor, MI.

I pretty much know how I'm going to handle the work part of it:
primarily working at home with SME contact by email, but I know
I'm going to have to make at least a few trips to Chicago for
meetings, face-to-face interviews, etc.

Do I charge them for the time I spend driving? or just the
mileage? or both? Adding 10+ hours of non-productive driving
time to an invoice seems an awful lot like padding the
invoice... On the other hand, it is time taken from work.

I got this job through a friend, and hope to get plenty more
work for this company, so I don't want to over-charge them. On
the other hand, I don't want to under-charge them, either!

-becca

=====
http://taxes.yahoo.com/