Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:50:40 -0300

Gilger.John wrote:
soliciting anecdotes, opinions, and hopefully, a few facts

In my experience, successful telecommuting depends on the nature of the job. The more you can work on your own, or the more your work requires you to deal with people outside the company, the more successful telecommuting will be. For example, if you're an expert on the manual subject, and can figure out everything from poking around the software by yourself, then you can telecommute more easily than if you're dependent on the experts. At the other extreme, if you're negotiating ads and dealing with a printing house, then you can telecommute because you're not interacting much with anyone else in the company anyway.

I work from home roughly half the time, but my major experience was fourteen months spent working for a company in Indiana. I'd fly in about two days every month or so, get my work assignments, then fly home to do the actual work. Much of my work was planning ad campaigns and other publicity, and most of the rest was working on a manual whose subject I knew very well, so the situation worked for me. Eventually, the company moved from startup to a more mature stage, and, as the president started wanting more control, he turned against the idea of telecommuting. He offered me a pleasantly large sum to move, and, when I turned it down for personal reasons, hired someone local and gradually eased me out. Ironically, my on-site replacement couldn't generate nearly as much good press as I could from several thousand miles away. Still, I had the time of my life while it lasted, so no complaints.

"In the holy bars of Europe I bowed and said Amen
But when my eyes were open she had vanished once again
I chased her down the highway like lights across the sky
I was looking for perfection of a very basic kind."
-OysterBand, "This Town"