Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:01:35 -0600

"Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote in message
news:3CB8A1C6 -dot- 70809 -at- axionet -dot- com -dot- -dot- -dot-

> While I can't speak for Elaine, this is very common advice. The
rationale is that one designer's style should be consistent enough over
different fonts that his or her designs should be compatible with each
other.

> At times, of course, designers do consciously create fonts that are
meant to complement each other. An example is Sumner Stone's Stone Serif
and Stone Sans fonts. However, the advice is only general. But, while
the advice often works, you may have to know something about the
designer's career. For instance, someone like Adrian Frutiger, whose
designs cover many decades, changed his interests many times, so a font
designed earlier in his career may not go with one from the end of his
career. Still, overall the suggestion isn't a bad one.

Thanks. Now I see where the reasoning comes from--and the need to view
it as a general guideline only. And it makes sense.

It's just that I'd never heard it before.

This leads to a second question. Does anybody have the title of a book
or two they'd care to recommend that goes into the subject of font
selection?

--
John Fleming
Technical Communication Contractor