Re: Time to perfom a procedure

Subject: Re: Time to perfom a procedure
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

> The grasping of human mind is varying, depending on the approach an
> individual takes to the process of learning. So, fixing a time
> frame will,
> undoubtedly, surface some personality traits and might lead to
> either under-estimation of over-estimation of the content
presented.

Hi, guys...let me give you a little more detail on "what" this
process is that I'm trying to describe and time.

We produce some applications which produce, as their output, an
email. Since this is a company email and we've standardized on one
email client, it is read by the VAST majority of the employees by
Outlook 2000.

Now, this email is important, from a time perspective, from the
standpoint of moving a sales approval along since the email is going
to a specifc person (not all to the same person, but a specific
person based on a number of criteria) and by replying to that email
in a specific way, they are approving or declining a price for a
discounted sales proposal.

I've therefore created a set of rules that initiate certain actions
when the email is recieved. These rules do specific things based on
specific text string in the subject line. The things the rules do is
display a prompt that the email came in, sort the emails into
folders, and under certain conditions, send a copy to a delegate.

Therefore, I've created several phases or instruction:

1) Create three different folders to receive emails.
2) Create a prompt for message type A and move that email to folder A
3) Create a prompt for message type B and move that email to folder B
4) Create a prompt for message type C and move that email to folder C
5) Copy message type A (only) to a delegate if the recipient will be
away fromo the office.

if they don't want to create from scratch:

6) Download a canned set of rules, import into Outlook and
personalize.

The reason I feel safe in setting a time to complete this process is
the decisions are small, don't take any thought, and aside from
picking a delegate email address, nothing is left to choice. I've
defined the folder names to sort them into to, defined the messages
to display when an email arrives, and defined the string to filter
on. Pretty much, select and move to the next step.

BTW...I relize that there are better ways to perform this workflow,
but since email forms or additional programming is not an
option...this is all I got.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/30