RE: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: RE: Font Selection Methodology
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:33:13 -0400

Okay, that's it, I'm starting Friday early this week.

> However, for some reason I haven't been
> able to track down, some fonts simply don't work. There seems
> a greater than normal chance that dingbat sets won't work,
> but some completely normal fonts don't, either. I'm not sure
> whether the fault lies in the font server (the software that
> makes the fonts available), or the x-server (the software
> that provides the graphical capacity), or in some obscure
> interaction between the font server, the x-server, and the
> fonts themselves.
>

> --
> Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com
>
> "Never eat at a diner called 'Mom's,' never play cards with a
> guy named 'Doc,' and never get involved with a woman who's
> got bigger troubles than you."
> - Nelson Algren, The Man with the Golden Arm

>From my really twisted buddy, Brad (who is waaay too quick on the uptake):

I Thought The Serif
-------------------
(With apologies to Bob Marley)

Chorus:
I thought the serif
Should be the right font to use
I thought the serif
Would be the one to use

Verse 1:
All around, on our web site
They're trying to read my page
They say it's the job of our department
For the look, of the document
For the formatting, of the document

But I swear

(Chorus)

Verse 2:
The fonts were the ones I always use
Where they went, I don't know
They were on my hard drive there
And then they vanished, giving me a scare
Yes they vanished, into thin air

But I swear

(Chorus)

Verse 3:
I searched all over, high and low
For a font, to make things shine
But all I found were Dingbats and Times
To help correct my crimes
To atone, for my crimes

But I swear

(Chorus)

Verse 4:
My boss, he came to me
Said, "What's this crap on the site?
"What the Hell did you think
"With these fonts, you know they stink
"To high heaven, yes they stink"

But I swear

(Chorus)

Verse 5:
And now the page is ugly
And we're a laughing stock
But I know how I'll escape
I'll just blame it all, on Netscape
Blame the whole thing, on Netscape

But I swear

(Chorus)

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at vitana.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

Fontomology--The science of reducing the number of fonts in the company
documentation from 125 to 3, and the art of selling this idea to management.
Serification--The process of discreetly re-fonting the documents your
manager has created using nothing but Comic Sans, just prior to publication.