Re: The Problem With Fonts (RE: Font Selection Methodology)

Subject: Re: The Problem With Fonts (RE: Font Selection Methodology)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Dunn wrote...

> Andrew's trolling aside, isn't this another case of "Know Your Audience"?
Guess
> if the list was to ban all posts that could be answered by that response
traffic
> would be really low.
>
> But to everyone's credit I think you all foiled Andrew's manipulation by
> providing some insightful discussion and helpful resources.

There was no attempt at manipulation. I posted a humorous incident from my
office. Some people ran with it and turned it into a more serious discussion.
That's cool. But don't go attributing evil doings to me just because I
inadvertently started some dumb war over fonts. I never told people to start
warring over fonts. They did that all on their own.

I think its pretty cool that my quip remarks can make people think. Even if it
is about fonts. <shiver>

> The reason that Andrew's bait was accepted is that like it or not, document
> design does have it's place.

Yes. Design should take about 1 to 5% of your time on a technical document.

> PS: If the original post was a troll, it certainly confirms suspicions that I
> (and I suspect many) have had about previous posts and vehemently held
> positions. How can anyone take a poster seriously if they themselves admit to
> trolling and baiting? Give respect if you expect respect and all that.

...I guess this means I am out of the running for Technical Communicator of the
Year Award at the STC conference. Damn! I was sure this was my year.

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/