Salaries

Subject: Salaries
From: Emma -dot- Cuthbert -at- wwa-sysmed -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 9:31:36

I?ve tried, and failed, to find a website which provides up-to-date salary
guidelines / brackets for tech authors working in the UK. I?m particularly
interested in salaries for London and the south-east, and central Scotland.
Can anyone point me to a useful site?

More generally, do any of you have any suggestions about how to discuss (or
avoid?) salary in an interview?

My current situation is this:
I was made redundant in November last year, but landed a new job about 6
weeks later. The job market is slow here right now, and I?m in debt, so I
didn?t really have any option but to take the first decent job I was
offered - which I?m still in.
I got the interview through an employment agency and they informed me that
all discussions about salary should take place through them. My first
mistake was listening to them?:) I got the job, but at £4k less than I?d
asked for. I reiterated the salary I wanted, listing the reasons why I
felt I was worth it (skills, experience, market rate), but was told it was
non-negotiable - although I would get a pay review after 3 months. This
has not materialised, and my company deny that they told the agency this?

Anyway, after discussion with colleagues, they?re horrified at what I?m
currently earning, and even at what I wanted. A lot of my (programming /
development) co-workers are asking what are (to me) ridiculously high
salaries.

Does anyone else working in the IT industry feel that there are a lot of
people working here ONLY for the money?
Am I alone in feeling that job satisfaction and a constant learning curve
are equally important?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one...

Emma Cuthbert (newly unlurking)