The Silence of the Snorkies

Subject: The Silence of the Snorkies
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:25:44 -0600

Despite all the controversy he caused, and in open admission of his
argumentative nature, I'm thinking back, and cannot recall any post in
which Andrew suggested that the List would be a better place if a specific
person were to leave or be suspended.

I guess that he, unlike his more vocal detractors, figured this sandbox
was big enough for all of us to play in. And apparently Andrew didn't feel
that people with whom he disagreed had no right to even be members of this
List.

Instead, being the technically savvy List member he was, he had explored
his keyboard and had discovered the powerful functionality of the Delete
key. Rumor has it that he had also mastered the art of enforcing filters
on his incoming mail.

I also cannot recall Andrew calling somebody a derogatory name, nor
claiming that their post was garbage. My knowledge of the Archives is far
from encyclopedic, but that just didn't seem to be his way. He'd criticize
a concept, an organization, or a class of people (like the oft-maligned
Font Fondlers), but I don't recall him ever saying, "Joe Blow is a jerk"
(or even "j**k").

Eric, the guy who OWNS (not just moderates) this List - and who probably
knows what he would like this List to be about - very eloquently stated
the following:

>Philosophically, I find it most disturbing when people attempt to silence
or stifle voices they do not like.

Allow me to say, "Me too." Even if doing so is in violation of TECHWR-L