Re: Of Terms and 'Tudes

Subject: Re: Of Terms and 'Tudes
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:08:38 -0600

> 1. The use of "methinks": Where did this one come from (or, from where did
this one come?)? It has been popping up suddenly and without warning, and
has appeared in at least a few posts just today. Are we going to use Olde
English, in general? I know that this is probably not really Olde English,
but that's not my area, so please hold the flames on that one. Anyway,
methinks that it is odd that this word should be used so much.......not
necessarily bad, mind you, but odd nevertheless.......and I can't help but
wonder what it means and where it might be taking us.

>From the TV show "Cheers":

Dianne: "Ah. Methinks he doth protest too much."

Woody: "Miss Chambers, shouldn't that be 'I thinks?' "

Carla: "Not in your case, Woody."

It's a semi-cute word, and even though it's middle English (and hence has a
stuffiness quotient above 5.5) it does seem a bit less pushy than "I
hink" - or I thinks, in the case of Woody. If it's taking us anywhere,
it's probably on the road to a bit more civility.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com