Re: BOOKS: Rapid Development-Taming Wild Software Schedules by Stveve -- McConnell

Subject: Re: BOOKS: Rapid Development-Taming Wild Software Schedules by Stveve -- McConnell
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

> If you work in a software development environment (or want to), then you
> might be interested reading this book. I haven't finished it yet, but
> the chapters on project estimation and scheduling have helped me improve
> my planning for documentation projects.

> After I finish this tome (~650 pages), I plan to read his earlier book;
> Code Complete-A Practical Handbook to Software Construction.

I can't comment on the first book mentioned, but I can heartily recommend Code
Complete. I read the first half of Code Complete before the book got lost in
the process of moving. I intend to repurchase the book someday and read the
second half. *Very* interesting reading. Lots of supporting material for his
comments (as in, he quotes actual scientific studies that he seems to have
actually read for himself).

While the book was written quite a while ago (late 80s or early 90s, before
object oriented programming was really popular), I'd say 95% of what he says
really does still apply.

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com