Re: Word Style Organizer

Subject: Re: Word Style Organizer
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:01:01 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellen Vanrenen"

>The problem is with the Word template. We (read I) don't
>know how to instruct people here on how to use it for existing
>documents.

In Word 2000 you have the choice of either attaching the
template to get the styles, or of copying the styles
from the template into the existing document. The effect is
the same, either way, as far as the appearance of the
document is concerned. You may need to re-apply the
styles to some paragraphs if they have had local formatting
applied to them.

--------------------------------
To attach a different template to the active document

1. On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins.
2. Click Attach, and then select the template you want.
3. Click Open.

To use styles from the newly attached template, select the Automatically
update document styles check box in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box.
Word adds the styles from the template to the document. If styles in the
document and template have the same names, Word updates the document styles
to match the template styles.

--------------------------------------
To copy styles from a template or other document

1. On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins.
2. Click Organizer, and then click the tab for the items you want to copy.
3. To copy items to or from a different template or file, click Close File
close the active document and its attached template or to close the
Normal template. Then click Open File, and open the template or file
you want.
4. Click the items you want to copy in either list, and then click Copy.

To select a range of items, hold down SHIFT and click the first and
last items. To select nonadjacent items, hold down CTRL as you
click each item.

---------------------
To apply a style

1. Do one of the following:
* To apply a paragraph style, click the paragraph or select the group of
paragraphs you want to change.
* To apply a character style, click the word or select the words you
want to change.
3. On the Format menu, click Style.
4. In the Styles box, click the style you want to apply, and then click
Apply.
5. If the style you want is not listed, select another group of styles in
the
List box. A paragraph mark appears to the left of each paragraph style.
A bold, underlined letter "a" appears to the left of character styles.

--
Michael West
Melbourne