RE: Directions for tomorrow's techwriting

Subject: RE: Directions for tomorrow's techwriting
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:58:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Bill Buckheit wrote:
>
> >I don't think that what techwriters do is simply regurgitate or
> duplicate
> >other people's work. I feel that our task is to ferret out the
> information
> >that our audience needs and interpret/translate it into a form
> that theaudience can understand and use.

Real life situation. Just came out of a meeting 35 minutes ago. Four
differerent SMEs have been trying to come up with a way to present a
set of information to users.

Each of them wasn't happy with the previous method of presenation and
my boss, who they report to, wasn't happy with any of them. So, in
turn, each of them they took it on, thinking, "I'll show them...I
know this stuff cold". Three months this has been going on. Last
Friday, my boss got me involved. In 30 minutes, before I left his
office, I had a model/proof of concept. By Tuesday, I had all the
content each of them was trying to present. By last night, I had a
version that had twice the content and easier to access, and in the
meeting today, we brought it to a level they'd never even thought of.
EVERYONE was happy with the method of presenation.

Knowing the subject sometimes has nothing to do with it. There was
nothing exotic about how it was presented and I did it with a tool
that everyone had on their computer...Excel.

The closing comment on the way out..."This way is cool...why didn't I
think of it?" My answer..."Because this is what I do."

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying...I'm falling with style"
---Buzz Lightyear
http://games.yahoo.com/