RE: Office XP 2002 and PowerPoint Upgrade?

Subject: RE: Office XP 2002 and PowerPoint Upgrade?
From: Mark Lawrence <MLawrence -at- frontline-group -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:44:57 -0600

I've been using OfficeXP for about a month now.

1. I'm warming up to the smart tags. They very often give me useful options
at the point that I need them rather than having to search through menus or
remember shortcuts.

2. I didn't like the task pane approach at first. Especially in PowerPoint
where I was used to the custom animation dialog. Maybe because it was so
"different" (different anything is a pain when at first and when you're used
to the "old way") and I don't appreciate the application changing things
around on my screen (when the task pane "launches", it tiles the windows
which can make the content under work get necessarily smaller). Again, as I
gain experience, I'm warming up to it. Fairly complicated animations are
easier to get an overview of and edit in PP-XP.

3. I've got one fairly important PowerPoint presentation that I built in
PP2000 that GPF's when I try to launch the "Slide Design" task pane on a
particular slide. Nothing I do gets around it. I have no idea what causes
it. Grr.

4. I'm paranoid about the GPF reporting and recovery dialog. It does, at
least, *ask* if you want to send the information to Microsoft and on more
than one occasion, it's come back with pointers to KB articles that are
helpful but still ... (big brother is watching).

Mark Lawrence
dev guy