Re: Windows 2000 Professional vs Windows XP Professional

Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Professional vs Windows XP Professional
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:34:25 -0600

""Laurence Starn"" <lstarn -at- compuserve -dot- com> wrote in message
news:<001401c1f089$d23a33a0$380cc0d8 -at- default>...

> Has anyone had to make a choice between Windows 2000 Professional and
> Windows XP Professional? Which one did you choose, and what was the
basis of
> your decision?

I made that choice last October when Windows XP Professional was brand
spanking new. (Ordered the PC on October 25 with XP Pro installed,
Official product release was on October 26, had the system set up and
running on October 31)

While I knew I was taking a risk by buying what was essentially an
untried operating system, I didn't want to do an operating system
upgrade later.

I don't regret making that decision.

By and large, I have been very happy with XP Professional. I find it to
be a very stable operating system with some nice bells and whistles. It
boots *very* fast--under a minute.

If there is one place I've been a bit less than satisfied, it is with
the operating system's support for old fashioned phone line Internet
connections--where it seems to be more than a bit sluggish and sometimes
a bit temperamental.

To give my own experience some context, I purchased it as original
equipment on a fairly powerful state-of-the-art PC (1.8 GHz Pentium 4
processor, 512 MB of RAM, and an 80 GB hard drive), so it has all the
room it needs.

So, if you are thinking of an upgrade, my suggestion is to go with XP,
but put it on a fairly powerful PC.

--
John Fleming
Technical Communication Contractor