RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:9:21

Two points:

1. Dick wrote: "...We tell our customers exactly what server versions,
database versions, and browser versions we test against, as well as any
other specific requirements (size, speed, etc.)... Because we are selling
to corporate customers and those customers keep their IT infrastructure up
to date anyway, we can get away with this. I don't know how to answer your
question for retail software, though. "

We do the same (specify hardware and software requirements, including
version numbers) and indeed, because our product is geared for corporate
clients, it's never been an issue. Lately, though, we've introduced
Web-based training, and are running into problems because the people taking
the training don't automatically use IE. They have to install it, and
sometimes they get flustered an irritated. Not sure whether we will
eventually accomodate other browsers, since the training is on someone
else' platform.

2. Shauna wrote, in part: "I strongly doubt these figures are even close to
accurate"

Not only that, but such figures can lead people to believe the most used
product is superior to the others.

I use IE just because it's what our system is compatible with and I take
screenshots, but I've used Netscape in the past and I'm not that attached
to one or the other. But a few years ago when I was working exclusively in
a Mac environment, a member of family who loved getting into Mac vs
Microsoft arguments (don't ask) was always quoting these types of surveys
to prove the superiority of Microsoft. While I didn't care one way or the
other, I was always telling this person that just because more people use
one thing over another doesn't necessariyl mean it's better. It was very
irritating.

Johanne Cadorette