Re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach

Subject: Re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 7:17:10

Karen wrote (in part): "...Since RF is a big feature of our total system,
they often ask for RF documentation. Obviously, they can't show RF help in
a sales meeting.."

That's right, and they shouldn't have to show the help in a sales meeting.
The help is for users. What the sales team needs is a slick brochure
describing the help and all the other features. If they want a separate
document for the help, then fine, let them have one. But it should be a
sales document, not a technical one.

BTW, are you being asked to produce sales material? Is that part of your
job? Regardless, you (or the marketing writer) can use the help as a
starting point for a sales document, but I can't see how it could serve
both functions. Your audiences are completely different, as is the actual
goal of the documentation (figuring out how to use the system vs convincing
someone to buy it). I doubt the people who will be actually using the
product will be the ones sitting in sales meetings.

"But how do I convince the PHB that we should put the needs of our current
users over those of our sales force?"

Why would you want to do that? It seems to me that both needs are equally
valid. If nobody buys your product, then there certainly won't be any
reason to document help.

I hope I didn't misunderstand your post!

Johanne Cadorette