re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach

Subject: re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 07:31:22 -0600

re: Do any of you work in organizations where sales and marketing needs
drive the way in which [you] document your products?

and re: on several occasions I've been approached by some of our sales reps
asking for documentation they can show in meetings with prospects.

and re: how do I convince the PHB that we should put the needs of our
current users over those of our sales force? (Karen R. Casemier)

Some observations.

-As a former marketing major, I say marketing needs should *always* drive
the way in which you document your products.

-I would take the approach for help from the sales reps as a compliment to
your skills and your product knowledge.

-Don't try to convince anyone the "needs of current users" are more
important than those of the sales force--this will *always* be taken as an
uncooperative attitude on your part.

Generally speaking, it is usually assumed and often becomes nearly "policy"
that the needs of the firm's customers are best served by having all firm
employees perform as a team--that is, without power struggles between
company departments, functions, etc. And, usually it's the marketing folks
that are most in touch with customer needs, serving as they do (should) as
the interface with the customer. To the extent the technical writer "knows"
the best documentation approach, that writer is performing a customer
service and a marketing function, too. This is ok and the way it should be,
but at the same time there should be some assumption the sales folks know
something of what customers need, too.

It sounds a bit like some of this is missing in the instance described, and,
rather than resisting, I'd take this as an opportunity to fix that first and
foremost. Why not take the request for help from the sales force as an
opportunity to request back to them that you get to get even closer to your
ultimate customers by, perhaps meeting them, working on the documentation
feedback process, using some users as "test cases," etc.? Again, I think
you've been handed a great opportunity which is most likely a compliment to
you, and I suggest you make sure this compliment becomes a learning
experience and a profitable (raise, promotion) experience for you.

PS: If you transfer to the marketing department, you'll make more money!