RE: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: RE: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:05:25 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:
"That's why, when I've had a say in hiring, I've gone through all the
resumes that were submitted, no matter how unfamiliar their senders
seemed with the company. Oh, I grumbled, and I didn't keep up with the
influx unless looking to fill a specific position. But I did find some
fairly decent people that way. If I had used the same filter, I would
have had a much harder time. In fact, I'm not sure that some of the
positions could have been filled at all."

Well this statement right here is probably the root of our different
opinions. While I've been on the job hunter end for some time, this is
really the first time in my career where I've been in a position to hire
candidates. And to be in this position where I can't even visualize hiring
someone within the next two years... it gives me a completely different
perspective from the one Bruce has. Probably a one-sided one, too.

And, to make it even more interesting, I'm only in this position temporarily
(acting as department manager since the "real" manager is a reservist called
up to active duty).

Perhaps it is short-sited of me to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so
to speak. But I have an elephant to try to get into a refrigerator, so I
have work to do.