Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:14:27 +0200

>According to Web analysis firm OneStat.com, Microsoft's Internet Explorer
>is, by far, the dominant Web browser, with over 95 percent of the market.
>But perhaps more astonishingly, OneStat.com says that the recently
>introduced IE 6.0 is the most often used browser on the Web, with almost 45
>percent of all Web surfers using this version.

This study is most likely worthless because it is probably based on the
self-identification of browsers. (A website can ask a browser "What are
you?" and the browser sends back a string.)

Many 'alternative' browsers identify themselves as one of the 'major'
browsers, at least optionally, so as not to trigger spurious "This
website does not support your browser" messages.

Because of this, you cannot get _any_ reliable data based on the self-
identification. Unless the survey uses other means, it is crap.

Regards
Jan Henning

PS: Of course that doesn't matter. As you can see on this list already,
many people buy numbers based on a "survey" hook, line, and sinker
without stopping to think how the numbers may have been arrived at.

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345