Re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach

Subject: Re: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach
From: "etymes -at- lts -dot- com" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:08:48 -0700

Karen Casemier wrote:

I'm sure sales/marketing is going to want to do a printed manual. In an
ideal world, we would do both, and probably will at some point. But how do I
convince the PHB that we should put the needs of our current users over
those of our sales force? A printed manual will look pretty, and will
probably make for a nice door stop for a team leader on the floor. But I
can't see that it would be of much practical use except perhaps in training
situations.

IMHO, nothing succeeds like numbers. Sales usually asks for pretty giveaways - and without question could use something nice for sales pitches - but frequently gets shot down when somebody gets a look at the costs to produce such an item. What has worked for us is to coolly cost out the various approaches and point out the expected uses, then let management make the decision. 90% of the time the numbers support the less expensive option; occasionally other factors weigh in, such as product introduction scenarios.
Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems