Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

> I suppose that as on so many other occasions in life,
> someone will hate you for whatever you do. As for me,
> I'm turned off by applicants who walk in saying "Don't
> tell me about your company, let me tell you about your
> company." I think, "What are you, Professor Harold
> Hill?"

I try to do research about the company I'm going in to interview
with. However, I don't immediately say anything that shows I've done
that. I'll listen and ask questions about the assignment.

Then as usually happens, they'll say "OK, do you have any
questions?".

At a previous gig, I opened with "yes, I noticed that you are in
litigation over a patent with [X-Company]. Do you feel, if it goes
against you, that the functions that I'll be performing for your
company will be affected?"

The eyes got big, then the smile got big, then he says "you've done
your homework...[explanation why it wouldn't]...the job offer came by
the time I'd driven home.

To do research just so you can show you did research is
bogus...however, to use that research to bring out legit
questions...isn't that what we do?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying...I'm falling with style"
---Buzz Lightyear
http://health.yahoo.com