RE: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)

Subject: RE: Is Photoshop a good tool for screenshots?(long)
From: "Creamer, Kevin" <kcreamer -at- richmond -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:49:51 -0400

> In my experience, there's a significant difference between JPG and GIF:
the
> compression method used in JPG is good for photographs and terrible for
screen
> captures (or indeed anything with text).
>
> Christine

I agree. PNG can do both well (millions of colors like JPEG, lossless
compression like GIF (which keeps text from getting jaggy)). File size is
slightly larger than either, but the quality is great. PNG also handles
transparency better than GIF (JPEG doesn't have transparency), though that's
not always needed. Plus it's an open standard
(http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/).

Photoshop, Fireworks, Word, FrameMaker, IE and Netscape all support PNG
(it's Firework's native format).

Take care,
Kevin.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr