Update: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach

Subject: Update: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:17:10 -0400

Hey guys. I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions.

This is what we have decided to do (based on input from Training, Service,
Development, and Projects/Consulting). Because there is some talk of
changing the RF platform in the somewhat-near future, we will not put the
effort into developing RF help.

We are going to instead create a type of reference guide for the floor
operators. This will include the same type of information as online help
normally would: field definitions as well as a description of the types of
tasks that can be performed on a screen. We will design this document in
small sections based on the types of tasks being performed, with page
size/layout appropriate for small, spiral or three-ring documents. At my
suggestion, we are going to create this document in Word (rather than
FrameMaker, our normal tool) and provide each client with the electronic
copy. Each customer can then customize the documentation according to their
own SOPs, and they can create individual guides for each operator (most
operators only perform a subset of the available tasks).

The actual tasks (step-by-step stuff) are already included in a user's
manual (that manual describes each task and how to perform the task
conventionally/using the GUI and using RF). This manual will be used for
training purposes.

Oh, and Kent Christensen, in an otherwise excellent post, suggested: "PS:
If you transfer to the marketing department, you'll make more money!"

No way. Been there, done that. You probably can't tell from my posts, but
that is actually how I got into techwriting - I started in sales/marketing
first (the only indicator you might find is in my documents - I tend to
still try to accentuate the positive and minimize the negative by telling
them what the program CAN do, not what it can't). You could double my salary
and I wouldn't go back to that level of stress! I know each individual job
is different, but mine at the time was not worth any salary (because I would
have never had time to enjoy any of the money - working until 9:00 PM every
night, coming in almost every weekend, constantly fried and stressed out,
being caught in turf wars between sales and operations...).

Karen R. Casemier
Senior Technical Writer
Provia Software Inc.
616.974.8729

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr