QUERY: Writing simple proposal

Subject: QUERY: Writing simple proposal
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:27:36 -0400

Brian Hooper asks about a quick proposal format to submit via e-mail.

Back in my proposal writer days, we often would get phone requests for bids
on small projects - there was no RFP, and no formal list of requirements,
just stuff jotted down from the phone conversation. I'd just create a letter
with a paragraph or two describing the project requirements and our
assumptions, and include a table outlining pricing and/or projected total
costs. Your situation is slightly different, because you probably only have
one rate to quote, so your letter will probably be even simpler.

I only worked as a proposal writer in one company, so I don't know if this
is typical, but we would send out at least five of these letters every week.
We got quite a bit of work that way - a lot of times, the companies knew
they were going to hire us, and didn't want to go through the RFP process.
They just needed something down on paper regarding project scope and
pricing.

Karen R. Casemier
Senior Technical Writer
Provia Software Inc.