RE: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing

Subject: RE: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 07:22:27 -0500

Dave,

IME, upper management's views make all the difference - and
that's also why there's a trend (in some companies and/or
industries) away from large documentation departments.

Managers see documentation and the writers as overhead,
which we are. The problem is that some managers can't seem
to see the difference between necessary and unnecessary
overhead, so doc teams go - because one way to improve
profitability is to reduce overhead.

One can picture Dilbert's PHB saying "Hmmmmm... electricity
is an overhead cost. Reducing overhead improves profits...
Issue a memo requiring all employees to bring a candle in
to work, since the company will no longer be providing free
electricity." Doh!

For companies and managers with a long-term view, the
importance of documentation to product success should be
clear. Users might not _like_ the documentation that comes
with their VCR, but you can bet they'd raise holy # -at- *& if
the VCR box didn't contain those convoluted instructions on
setting the clock to the flashing 12:00. <g>

There will always be a need to strike a balance between the
short term and long term ROI that companies get from their
overhead costs - including writers. As important as _we_
think our work is, the profit motive drive corporations
(and a lot of people I know, too ;->) so showing management
the value (with hard numbers, whenever possible) is the
only way to change their views.

My $0.02 only

Dan

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can.
That is the only secret of style. -- Matthew Arnold