RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:21:56 -0500

From: "Dan Hall"
>More frequently, though, I have the users of my
>documentation visit me. They mostly are based
>here in San Carlos and travel to sites where the
>gear is going, so it makes more sense to have the
>users come to me. :-)

Greetings from the Digest!! Sorry for the late comment, but I've moved over
to digest-mode recently. I know the polls are to be answered at the site,
but your comment was interesting. First of all, I think it's great that
your users come visit you on their own. We actually hold a yearly "User's
Forum" in Chicago, where we invite all of our current customers to attend
for a nominal fee, and participate in user discussions, raise their specific
issues with our consultants and support staff, attend presentations on the
direction of our products and the company, and provide feedback on our
products.

This is an excellant information gathering opportunity. User discussions
and roundtable events also give us a chance to collect suggestions for
product enhancements and new features. We introduce all of our slick, new
features and products that are in development. We also invite our partners
to set up booths and sell their wares, if they like. And then there's
always dinner, drinking, and social activities each night, which the clients
really enjoy. My task/role is to be the scribe, where I sit in a corner
with a laptop, furiously taking down every comment anyone utters. We later
use these notes for development, documentation and marketing purposes. We
find this forum invaluable.

Does anyone else do something like this? This is the first company where
I've seen somthing like this, and I find it fascinating how much research
you can get done in a two-day timeframe, by providing users with a place to
discuss new ideas, and talk through problematic areas of our products. This
event can be quite the headache, in terms of planning and coordinating, but
luckily for me, Marketing takes care of that :).

Syed

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr