RE: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing

Subject: RE: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing
From: Stephanie -dot- Seveska -at- abbott -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:01:17 -0500

IMHO - In some companies, upper management tends to see documentation, and
writing in general, as a convenience - not a necessity. When budget belts get
tight, what's more important in *their* minds? Documenting a procedure or
having some one to actually do it? Many people fancy themselves as potential
writers or designers and have a "how hard could it possibly be?" attitude.
Those willing to risk their egos usually realize the hard way that writing is
not as easy as it looks. So, I think that companies facing lay offs see teams
of writers as a luxury that is not worth the overhead and can be done without
for a period of time, though I wholeheartedly disagree. Once half the tech
writing department is gone, they'll realize what a mess they've made...

I, lucked out for now and got involved in a company that depends on us measly
tech designers to create written materials needed for medical investigational
sites. Without us, there wouldn't be any studies, and we're cheaper than
sending it out. Safe for now!

Just my 2 pennies...
Anne

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr