Document Repository/Management Features

Subject: Document Repository/Management Features
From: puffwriter -at- darksleep -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 19:25:18 -0400

Hey folks,

For those of you who don't remember me :-), I used to write
database manuals and transitioned to software development (you can
read about some of this at http://darksleep.com/puff/).

The reason for this post; we're working on a document
repository/document management system for a specific context (contract
negotiation, where the contracts are composed as MS-Word docs and
emailed back and forth for modification). I'm working on defining
what sorts of things the back-end repository part of the software
should do.

In my research so far, it seems to me that document repository/
management systems seem to break down into three areas of
capabilities:

1) revision control - check-in/check-out, change-logging, merging
conflicting changes (CVS style)

2) archive/workflow-oriented - maintaining a massive archive of
documents, controlling who has access to what documents, moving
documents around from user to user to support the workflow

3) content-management/publishing - similar to 2), often strongly
overlapping 2), but oriented towards controlling publication of
documents at an intranet or public web site.

I spent a few hours wading through the list archive and reading
the various discussions of Documentum, SharePoint, OpenText LiveLink,
Novasoft, PC Docs, Intradoc MS, Office Control 9000, Diehl Graphsoft's
Revision Master, Author Assistant, Chrystal Software's Canterbury,
IManage, DocuShare, Saros Mezzanine, Domino.doc, Texcel, Optix, and
etc. They were interesting, but I'd like to hear from people who've
used these packages, about what kinds of features or qualities they
liked best, and what was missing.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- darksleep -dot- com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr