RE: Common instruction?

Subject: RE: Common instruction?
From: Linda Stark <blstark -at- swbell -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 19:11:23 -0500

I don't recall ever having run across this before. Is it common to start
assembly instructions for components of a very large tool with:

1. Locate six screws....
2. Locate two O-rings. Grease them with....

This follows what is supposedly a "parts list" for the whole tool. To me, it
sounds like we're having them run out to the garage, find six screws (one
here, one there, and how about one over there) and finish the step. Then
they run back out to the garage, find a couple of O-rings laying around and
finish that step. This "parts list" by the way is a one-page creation, with
a border. The first column lists the name of the item followed by the part
number; then we have a whole long trail of leaders that take us to.......the
quantity, which is at the edge of the margin on the right.

Looks like:

I first thought it was a table of contents. It took me a few minutes to
figure out it's supposed to be the parts list.

But I digress. Is the "locate" thing as a step before everything where you
actually DO something common? Is it a fluke I've never seen that before? It
sounds totally useless to me. I prefer a nice "Assemble all the retrofit
parts listed in Table ???" as a first step that covers what will follow.

Thanks for any input.

--Linda

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l