Re: Tech writing job market

Subject: Re: Tech writing job market
From: Lindsay Snitker <lsnitker -at- iastate -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:52:42 -0500

My limited analysis is that the technical writing specific sites do
not have a high yield. I think that is because if a hiring manager
knows about the technical writing sites, they also know some
technical writers who will either be interested in the jobs
themselves, or can refer the manager to other technical writers. The
managers who are no so familiar with our world seem to be
posting/checking the more generic job sites. (Is this a good

I've just graduated and am not looking for a job in my area. I was
also surprised by the number of jobs posted on generic sites compared
to tech writing sites. I had an interview from a job listed on
Monster and was surprised that of all the places I've been looking
(newspapers, STC, generic sites, etc.) my best prospect came from a
post on Monster. I figured that since people keep applying to jobs
listed on Monster, managers have no need to search for a more
audience-specific job board.

Lindsay Snitker
lsnitker -at- iastate -dot- edu

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l