Re: Tech writing job market

Subject: Re: Tech writing job market
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:17:16 -0700

Lindsay Snitker wrote:

I've just graduated and am not looking for a job in my area. I was
also surprised by the number of jobs posted on generic sites compared
to tech writing sites. I had an interview from a job listed on
Monster and was surprised that of all the places I've been looking
(newspapers, STC, generic sites, etc.) my best prospect came from a
post on Monster. I figured that since people keep applying to jobs
listed on Monster, managers have no need to search for a more
audience-specific job board.

This sounds like the time to trot out my old truism (long-time list members who don't already filter me out can stop reading here):

Job sites aren't the places to find work - especially in these economic conditions. For over a year now, many employees have preferred to avoid the boards rather than have to wade through hundreds of resumes. Many don't advertise in the newspapers for the same reason. STC sites in particular aren't a good place to look because very few non-writers have even heard of the organization; it's curious that an organization that includes many people who write marketing communications doesn't know how to market itself, but apparently true.

Instead, network. And by network, I don't mean making connections with other writers - I mean making connections with recruiters and people who have hiring authority in the fields where you want to work. Make appointments to talk to recruiters. Attend high-tech and business seminars in your areas. These are the places where you'll make connections that will help youl

In addition, maintain a list of potential employers and visit their web sites regularly. Make cold calls, and send out your resume with a cover letter that shows you've taken the time to look at what the company does.

These are the techniques that will help you find the jobs that aren't being advertised - that is, most of the jobs. At times, you might even motivate someone to create a job or short-term contract because your cold contact got somone thinking about a project they've always wanted their company to do.

Don't ignore the job sites or newspapers, but don't stop your job hunt with them, either. They're only starting points.

"They pout, they pose, they curl their lips,
They miss too many meals,
With their implants and injections,
Only God knows what is real."
- Garnet Rogers, "Where'd You Get That Little Dress?"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l