Re: Job Hunting Stories

Subject: Re: Job Hunting Stories
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 07:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- Randall Larson-Maynard <RMAYNARD -at- INTERACTDEVICES -dot- COM> wrote:
> See below my signature line for a post I worked up for a the
> sactechcommunicators discussion group. I wanted to add that Tom Murrell's
> T-letter was a great tool (see post below).

[SNIP]
> Here's a great cover letter tip. I used this and it was very
> effective. See this URL:
> <http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employmentarticles/tletter.html.> I
> had several hiring people tell me that my cover letter was what made
> the difference. It states in the article to not send a resume, I
> disagree since most will ask for a resume and you had better follow
> the rules! I made the cover letter on the first page, inserted a page
> break and started the resume on page two.

Randall, thanks for the endorsement.

When I was responding to Kathy Frost's original post, and in the article, I was
trying to point out how you can make your entry in the job derby stand out,
which I believe was one of Kathy's concerns. It is a valid one.

I once taught this approach in a class when I was a member of 40-PLUS, a
voluntary, not for profit, job search and placement organization. One of my
skeptical students tried out the T-Letter, without resume, on a very high level
executive job that he didn't want. It was a job that received over 200
resume/applications. His was the only one without a resume.

He got a call from the screener informing him that his was the only application
without a resume, but that they were sufficiently impressed with the
information on his T-Letter that he was one of the six candidates invited for
the interview. He went to the interview but told them at the end that he really
didn't feel this job was for him.

Still, he was so impressed that an approach he didn't believe in could get him
such good results that he was constantly singing its praises in meetings.

If you feel the need to 'stand out' in the job search process and still get
interviews, what have you got to lose in sending a T-Letter, which lists all of
the relevant qualifications, without a resume? I always take my resume to the
interviews and leave them with it. It is my sales call brochure, if you like.

Anyway, that is some of my thinking for advocating NOT sending a resume when
applying for a job.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/14/02
--The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.--

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l